Enterprise Cloud Adoption. Why is so slow?

I just could not resist, and I added this gem produced on twitter  by Simon Wardley
There is a moral to this story.The great majority of organizations did not adopt the cloud yet, because there is still a challenge to understand what cloud is.  All we have is a cacophony of messages. there is absolutely no one who can implement a cloud in an enterprise as easy as 1, 2, 3.

At the beginning, we envisaged the cloud as a plug in the wall, something that will bring on demand , all computing resources as easy as electricity.
In reality we need developers (the fancy name is DevOps) to create a cloud, in other words we need the geeks, and we depend on them to operate our cloud, We dread, what happens when they leave.

I always hoped the Telecom are best positioned to deliver the enterprise cloud, or any cloud, The problem is not technical, but political. There is a cultural chasm between the telecom culture and cloud culture.

A story

Here is a quote from a recent (February 17, 2015) Cisco blog by Timothy Chou
While cloud computing is based on a number of technology innovations, I’m going to write for the non-technical person who I think needs to understand this major shift.  In the end, cloud computing will affect every business, every industry.  I’ll start this blog by sharing a story.
A few years ago, I was in a meeting with six CIOs of one of the largest healthcare providers. I asked each a question as they introduced themselves: “What are you working on?”
The first CIO, Bill, replied, “I’m working on a strategy to move to cloud.
Next, I asked Mary, “What do you do?” Mary also said she was working on a strategy to move the cloud.
We got through every one of them and every one of them had the same answer.
I asked, “So what does that mean, working on a strategy to move to the cloud?”
They collectively said, “We’re really not sure, but we’re working on it.




Comments

Popular Posts